Monday, January 28, 2013

Do I believe in eternal security? Yes, I do. I am absolutely secure, because the Lord has “shut me in.” You see, it wasn’t Noah who shut the door of the ark, hoping he latched it right and that it would stay shut. God shut the door of the ark - just as He seals our salvation on our journey to Heaven.

“Wait a minute,” you say. “I thought there will be some who won’t make it into Heaven even though they once made a profession of faith.”

That’s also true. And I believe the story that most clearly explains this dichotomy deals with a ship like the ark and a storm like the flood . . .

On a ship bound for Rome, Paul advised the captain to winter in a port due to bad weather. Ignoring Paul’s advice, they sailed on, right into a storm that grew so fierce that the sailors feared for their lives. “Be of good cheer,” Paul said. “There stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, saying, Fear not, Paul, thou must be brought before Caesar: and lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee” (Acts 27:22–24).

When the storm continued, some of the sailors decided to bail out. But just as they were about to leave, Paul said, “Except these abide in the ship, you cannot be saved” (Acts 27:31). In other words, “If you choose to go overboard, you’ll be wiped out. You are secure, safe, and sealed only as long as you stay on board.”

Gang, no one can pluck us out of God’s hand - but that doesn’t mean we can’t leave on our own. I’m shut in the good ship salvation because I have no intention of going overboard, of sailing off in another direction. Yes, I sin. But I am determined, and have decided that I will love the Lord all the days of my life. I pray you have too.

No comments:

Post a Comment